Sunday, September 23, 2007

Religious Name

Inquirer columnist Pam Pastor complained:
I was 10 years old when R.E.M. released the song “Losing My Religion. And because this was before I discovered the magic of reading between the lines and the horrors of people not saying what they actually mean, I found the song amusing. Here was this guy whining about losing his religion while I had one too many. I remember thinking about giving him one of mine to make both our lives easier. Yes, I grew up with two religions. My dad’s side of the family is Catholic while my maternal grandparents head a Born Again Christian church.

I say, Haller. Your name is Pam Pastor. You can't help it. I don't know about the hundreds of thousands of Delos Santoses and Dela Cruzes but my friends who have religious surnames are bound by religion. I used to have a classmate named Ethel Simbahan. Her father was I think already a priest but he was lured out of it. And then there's Marianne Catedral, PR extraordinaire, who almost became a nun. Now, she's a King. Married to a King in Texas. Hindi kami beso-beso ni Cardinal Sin but his surname also is a big factor on why he became a cardinal.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The theory would've been spot-on that REM was having a "why God" moment just like XTC's Dear God, but Losing My Religion isn't about literally losing one's religion. It's a Southernism for not cooling your jets.

That's a bit of music trivia for ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losing_my_religion

6:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks, man

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?