Journalism Training in Germany
Course Contents: Topics to be covered during the IIJ Summer Academy include:
- Media and responsibility: why do ethics matter?
- Functions and limits of press freedom
- Comparison of private, state-owned and public service media systems
- Content and purpose of ethical codes for journalists
- Relevant norms and their pitfalls: accuracy and fairness; protection of sources; conflict of interest
- Investigative journalism and ethical constraints
- Media and conflict: sensitive reporting
- Role of a free press in the development process
Target Group: The Summer Academy is open to young journalists working for print and online media as well as in news agencies. Applicants are expected to:
- have a minimum of two years of professional experience
- be not older than 30 years
- be in permanent employment with good chances of promotion
- be proficient in English.
Women journalists are particularly encouraged to apply.