Saturday, November 01, 2008

G.K. (not Gawad Kalinga and far funnier)

Only one of my friends is a Keillor fanatic like me. Willi P, in his frustration, one time bought all the "Lake Wobegon Days" in the bargain bins of Booksale and gave it away to his Nueva Ecija fans. We had the complete set of books. He bought his in Kinokuniya. I bought mine at Booksale still. He has all the tapes. I was the first however to watch the movie. Willi P thinks San Jose City is his Wobegon, give or take 15 degrees Centigrade. So here's a new poem from the great GK, which first came out in Atlantic Monthly:

My Career in Radio
Garrison Keillor

I’m a radio man for thirty-some years
In St. Paul, an old variety show
Like those I used to hear, my dears,
When I was a child long ago.
To critics, my show is peppered
With little bits of Bob & Ray,
Jack Benny, and Jean Shepherd,
But those critics are dying (Hooray!)
And to twenty-year-olds who were born
Too late to hear the great Fred Allen
I am the master of the form,
Sailing the airwaves like Magellan.
If a thief escapes and is not hung
He may be honored by the young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?