Monday, September 17, 2007

Pork Chop and Brussel Sprouts


Henry James, the American novelist who spent his last 40 years in Britain , was a literally walking thesaurus. One time, he ordered in a restaurant: “Bring me…fetch me…carry me…supply me…in other words (I hope you are following me) serve-when it is cooked…scorched…grilled, I should say – a large…considerable…meaty (as opposed to fatty)…chop. In other words: Burn one chop!” On the other hand, George Bernard Shaw was a strict vegetarian but he doesn’t want to be the poster boy of vegetarianism like Pamela Anderson is now. “There are millions of vegetarians in this world but only one Bernard Shaw. You do not obtain eminence quite so cheaply as by eating macaroni instead of mutton chops.,” the dramatist said.
Once asked to attend a testimonial where the food is vegetarian, he said, “The thought of 2,000 people crunching celery at the same time horrifies
me.”
I remember another anecdote when J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, was seating
beside Shaw one lunch and Shaw, of course, was having his usual salad with oil dressing.

“Tell me one thing, Shaw, have you eaten that or are you going to?” Ha ha ha. But Barrie has his own culinary quirk: eating Brussel sprouts every day.
Asked why, he said, “I can not resist ordering them. The words are so lovely to say.” Lovely!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?