Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Grease


I heard someone mutter during Holy Week that even the "taong grasa" (people of the grime, the homeless caked in grime) of Baguio speak English. I heard two (all women) indeed speak fluent English by themselves and sometimes with pedestrians. There is one who Mrs. De Guia, the former mayor, told me belongs to a rich family here. There is also one with Tourette syndrome who curses lavishly at Marbay. Just recently I saw one, Paul told me his name is Wilson, who belongs to a rich Chinese family. He said he got desp[aired over a string of business losses and now became a taong grasa. But I'm sure that is a Woolrich shirt, Paul said. Yeah, Baguio is still a small town because we know our beggars. Or maybe we became so familiar with them. There is boom chack chack boom man(blind man using a plastic jug and maracas). The blind man along Skyworld (I had a story that came out in Midweek Magazine about one time when a block of cement fell on him post-1990 earthquake time). One success story is Miller whose guitar skills made him a folk bar circuit regular. There is another in Patria who used to have long hair and looked like Jose Feliciano. There is another on a wheelchair in front of Don Henrico's. These people I give whenever I ahve loose change. Friends tell me, don't give. You are encouraging them. I tell them, we all are beggars. Society is the biggest beggar.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heard two (all women) ......
indeed speak fluent English by themselves and sometimes with pedestrians.

di ba dapat "..heard two (BOTH women)....

1:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I originally wrote four women but decided later that two are mere vagrants but you're right

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?