Sunday, September 16, 2007

Dr. Philip

Dr. Philip Flores, neighbor and one of the top educators of Baguio, died yesterday in New Lucban. Because he was with the Bahai Faith, he was buried today. Pito Carantes, whom we fondly call as Doc, was buried last week. We are losing our old neighbors. Dr. Philip helped found Pines City High School and was the dean of SLU Graduate Studies. His English was impeccable and when I was young I just wanted to listen to him so I would learn the right enunciation. It is a habit I did not lose. In my laptop is the OED which speaks to me. Just yesterday I learned from Marj Evasco that Louise Gluck is pronounced Glick. Dr. Philip started a pre-school in our neighborhood but it failed and it probably depressed him more. His wife Manang Nelda Carantes is a jolly person but she died much earlier, from which Dr. Philip never recovered. Doc Pito, a cousin of Nelda, works at the City Veterinary Office. He was the one who would tell you if your dog is in the pound and would deliver the pig if you want lechon. He would cure your dog of distemper. They defined New Lucban to me. Now it is up to us to finish the definition.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?